Fort Ticonderoga construction started in 1755. The Governor-General Vaudreuil in Quebec ordered the construction to protect French settlements along the Champlain valley from the British during the French and Indian war. The original name was Fort Carillon.
In 1758, General Abercromby led a British and Colonial force of 17,000 against it. The British and Colonial forces lost to a French force of 3,700. In 1759, General Jeffrey Amherst attacked. The French force did not have the ability to defend and abandoned it. General Amherst renamed it.
On May 10, 1775 Ethan Allen, Benedict Arnold and the Green Mountain Boys captured it from the British. Marking America's first victory in the Revolutionary war. The guns captured were transported to Boston and placed at the top of Dorchester Heights. The movement of the guns convinced the British to evacuate Boston on March 17, 1776.
In 1777, British General John Burgoyne's army recaptured it. In September, 1777 John Brown led an unsuccessful American attack.
The British abandoned it after losing at Saratoga.
It is owned and operated by the Fort Ticonderoga Association. The Association was founded in 1931 by the family of William Ferris Pell. The timeline is below.
1785 - Becomes property of the State of New York
1803 - Ownership of site was transferred to Union and Columbia colleges
1820 - Fort and 546 acre garrison grounds purchased by William Ferris Pell
1909 - Pell family starts restoration
1931 - Stephen and Sarah Pell establish the not for profit
1960 - Named a National Historic Landmark
1972 - Accredited by the American Association of Museums
It is located at 30 Fort Ti Road Toconderoga, NY. See map below.
Do you have a great story about this? Share it!